Monday 5 October 2009

My Stay In England


Amersham is one of the wealthiest, if not the wealthiest place in the U.K. It seems a lot harder to get rid of someone around here, especially one's peers. Everyone seems to live very close to each other, but there are fewer people. Things are more spread out here. There are fields, forests and hedgerows everywhere. Though everything is more spread out than in the states, everyone seems to know each other better.
The rumors are true about the tea here; everybody who’s anybody drinks it, and it’s pretty good stuff. There wasn’t a single day that went by that I didn’t have somebody ask if I wanted a cup of tea. The most prominent local culture is a tea drinking, job working, and Hollywood obsessed people. The music tastes among the people I got to meet all had too many artists in common to call the population “musically diverse”. Top forty pop music seems to be in the heads of everyone aged 6 to 35. Eminem is also oddly popular among my peers.
I have really gotten a good feel for what it is like to live here in England, in Amersham where most of my younger childhood was spent.
Everybody is so close to each other it is hard to get away. So, naturally, one is forced to deal with not being able to get away. I’d say one becomes more acquainted. I have often found myself cruising along the small, windy, dark roads in the passenger seat of a newly met friend’s car always listening to FM radio that only plays current top of the chart pop music, unless you prefer classical.
I used to hate listening to the pop music. Now it’s not so bad. I’ve realized that it’s just music to pass the time and sometimes entertain, but rarely fill any deep holes within your mind. Usually the tune has a steady beat with simple words that don’t matter or can’t be easily understood. Either way it’s unimportant. I’ve gotten used to it because the pop music leaves me alone. I feel no emotions from it. It’s just hyper-produced emptiness to me. It leaves me empty and doesn’t get in my way.
Everyone I met just wanted to be friends. I never got the bitterness and the “leave me alone, I’m breathing” attitude like I do in the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment